On Wednesday 08 July 2009 11:54:23 Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > login: sd0(mpi0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x28
> >     SENSE KEY: Media Error
> >          INFO: 0x1408a08d (VALID flag on)
> >      ASC/ASCQ: Unrecovered Read Error
> > sd0(mpi0:0:0): Check Condition (error 0x70) on opcode 0x2a
> >     SENSE KEY: Write Protected
> >          INFO: 0x1408a08d (VALID flag on)
> >      ASC/ASCQ: Write Protected
>
> That is a real error, provided by the drive.

Dave, the key here is "unrecovered".  A soft error will say it there
was a read error but it was finally read, meaning that the sector
data was obtained but after retries.

Me, I shudder at either kind and work on 1) making a backup of
the important data immediately, 2) getting a new disk.

I've seen disks survive for years with errors, and had one that
went from soft errors to unbootable in half a day.  Given that
your information is likely lots more valuable than a new disk,
replacing it soon is the best strategy.

--STeve Andre'