On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 09:48:20PM +0200, Maciej Jan Broniarz wrote:
> 2009/7/21 Bret S. Lambert <bret.lamb...@gmail.com>:

> >> Is there a way to do it without rebooting the machine into single mode?
> >
> > You can try untarring snapshots manually, but that's far outside the
> > realm of being supported.
> >
> > If you're upgrading the kernel, you're going to have to reboot. I'm not
> > sure what you're trying to avoid single user mode for.
> >

> For e.g. when I just need to patch few programs I don't want to reboot
> the whole machine. I want to minimize any downtine as much as
> possible.

Then you can burn a release on another machine as outlined in the release
man page.

If you don't have another machine of the same arch, you can NFS mount
the source and obj dirs and build from there.

It'll take a week and a day, though, to do that if you're on a slow machine,
which I'm guessing you are, since it runs off of CF.