Maciej Jan Broniarz wrote:
> The machine has dual-core xeon cpu and 2 gb of ram so it is quite
> fast. It is a small router box, so I have choose CF over regular hdd.

I'd suggest re-examining this decision...
I've seen a lot of suggestions which complicate your life, all to get
around a dubious decision that has complicated your life already.

For less than the cost of the flash adapter and the CF flash card,
you can get yourself a tried and true (i.e., used) hard disk, assuming
you don't have a pile of them on hand already.

Most of the reasons for using flash have been completely negated by
the rest of the machine -- it draws a fair amount of power, it has
big, noisy CPU fans, and it is bigger than a paper back book.  Might
as well just put a hard disk in it and make your life a LOT easier.

> What I am looking for is a way to update the system as easily as with
> freebsd-update of apt-get.
> Unpacking archives to my / looks fine, but I was wondering if there is
> an easier method.

That's..uh..pretty easy already.

That's how I do almost all of my systems since I started doing
upgradeXX.html documents quite a few years ago.  If
your machine has a non-stupid POST (i.e., not sold as a "server"),
with very little practice, you can do a version upgrade in two
reboots and 15 minutes (and downtime only during the reboots), and
system updates (patched same version) with one (or no) reboot.

Nick.