Matthew Haas wrote:

I'm exploring running OpenOSPFD only on the local networks (ie talking between my two local routers), but then talk amongst all the sites via OpenBGPD.

We'll see how it turns out.
Good day everyone,

Just wanted to offer an update of where I stand-- thanks to all for your suggestions.

As it turns out, last night I sat down and banged out an OpenBGPD config on all affected routers (and there is an up-to-date FreeBSD port of OpenBGPD which also made some things nicer), and there was a clear difference in connectivity happiness. Peers came up and established each other's presence quite nicely. Watching new routes propagate was also rather impressive, not to mention seeing a distinct lack of communication errors I was regularly experiencing watching the OSPF peers try to negotiate with one another.

I was hoping to only run 1 BGP server at each geographic location (of which there are 3 involved), and then running an OSPF server between all local routers at each location, but I couldn't get BGP-acquired routes to be shared via OSPF.

It looks like some other implementations of OSPF have a "redistribute ospf" option, which doesn't look to be available in OpenOSPFD 4.4.1. Just trying it with "redistribute connected" and "redistribute static" didn't seem to have any effect.

So as a result, I'm currently running OpenBGPD on all routers (which I guess isn't a problem, as each router is uniquely responsible for serving its own subnet, regardless of whether the machines are located at the same geographic location or remotely over the VPN.

I'm not sure if I'm looking at this the wrong way (assuming I can have OSPFD extract acquired routes from BGPD and share them across the local network, just as I would expect BGPD to acquire OSPF-propagated routes from the local network and share them with the remote peers), but for the time being, I am pleased to have something working, so I can continue to whittle away at it with any further customizations I want to explore.

One thing I do know, is that OpenBSD consistently comes through for me when it comes to easily setting up and having access to somewhat more complex network communication facilities. pf-based firewalls, and now route management; I am now plotting the demise of the sole Linux router in my environment to replace it with OpenBSD just to have full and headache-free access to these capabilities.

-Matthew