On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Jan-Erik Skata wrote:

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Chris <atst...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have an IBM T41 that runs current snapshot. I put it in suspend mode
with apm -z or zzz but when I wake the system, the battery runs dry.
Is there any way to avoid this other than turning off the the system
completely and turning it back on again?

Thanks.

This is a well-known issue on some ThinkPads. I have the same problem on my
X40 running Linux.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_high_power_drain_in_ACPI_sleep

The issue mentioned on Thinkwiki seems to be ACPI related, not APM related.

On the other hand, I can confirm similar behaviour with APM - complete discharge of battery within around a day in my APM suspended T42. As I have never run any other OS on my ThinkPad but OpenBSD, I thought short battery life in suspend was normal with ThinkPads and used hibernation instead. Now I see it isn't normal. If there is somebody experienced in power management working on this issue, I will be happy to help.

Regards,
David