hmm, on Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 08:41:22AM +0200, Claudio Jeker said that
> Hah. That's why he did not update his site since 2003. Do you realy think
> that OpenBSD 3.4 and 4.6 are the same?

nobody is arguing 3.4 and 4.6 is the same.
or that that particular benchmark has any more than historic value..

no matter how you put it, both a well done and an incompetent
benchmark succeeds on some level: some things were looked into because of it.

> The reason for C has nothing to do with speed.

"nothing" is a strong word.  but be it.  c and speed
shall never be used in the same sentence.

> And here again comes this style of uninformed dumb rant. Why do you think
> a web server will not do that much without sendfile()? Honestly it is
> exactly the opposide, a web server that never touches the disk for content
> delivery will outperform all others and can server enough data to fill a

can you show me the magic openbsd webserver that never touches the disk?

since you picked on sendfile(), let's turn it around.  i dont see your
numbers to prove that sendfile() doesn't help.  how is your statement
any better informed than mine?  it's just easier to say: nah, it wouldn't
help that much at all, it's overrated anyway.

having said all of this, i've been here for some years now.  i know
speed is not the priority for this project -- and i am fine with that
otherwise i wouldn't be here.  i am simply sick of all this downplaying
of any and all benchmarks (micro and macro), when everyone who writes
programs knows that there are important benchmarks for finding
bottlenecks and improving program/data structure.

i would be more than happy to see a "competent" benchmark by someone
who knows openbsd intimately.  but exactly because of the prevailing
mindset no one ever bothers.  so when it comes to openbsd performance
it's all just legends and hearsay, and if being low, hardware, software
and user gets blamed.

the devs are sitting around smug saying nothing until someone comes
up with this theme again and then they send something like:

        i have a bgp machine forwarding 800MBit/s of real world generic
        internet traffic. can handle at least twice that.

what can i say?  i am happy for you :]

-f
--
i'm so broke i can't even pay attention.