From: "L. V. Lammert" <l...@omnitec.net>
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Henning Brauer wrote:

> Building from source is light years
> more difficult than 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, or 'yum > upgrade' or the
> like.

so don't fucking do it, use releases and packages.

*OR* learn how to use environment variables and set your PKG_PATH &
create an alias for pkg_find and get equivalent functionality.

That doesn't help if you're running OpenBSD-STABLE. Updating packages is easy. Snapshots really aren't an option; OpenBSD is a good firewall and networking option
but selling the concept of snapshots to management is less than trivial.

The example of the BIND fix is a good one. On a server which hadn't built STABLE before it was a bit of a faff to sort out, especially as IIRC the fix wasn't available in CVS until some time after the advisory had been sent. I'll grant that the patch was available
direct on the OpenBSD website very quickly, though.

At the risk of a flaming, sysmerge is also a pain in the arse. Once you know how to use patch files and diff properly I'm sure it is absolutely wonderful, but it also copes badly
with files that have not changed in any significant way.

Which is not to say that the enhancements in 4.6's install and beyond are not welcome, of course. Oh, and to belay the predicatable 'well, why don't you fix it' response - I am
looking at fixing things, just not the above.

PK