Paul M wrote:
On 16/09/2009, at 10:46 AM, Jeffrey C. Smith wrote:

I am trying to add a new drive to replace a failed drive on my RAID1 OpenBSD system. I have read the available documentation but can't get the drive added permanently. Here's what I've done so far-

Any feedback would be most appreciated...

You did not state what the failed disk was - was it also wd1d?

Sorry. Yes it is...

So, you replaced the failed drive, then configured this new drive as a spare, and then reconstructed onto it. Is that correct?

Yes. And as a spare the array is up and healthy:

# raidctl -s raid0
raid0 Components:
           /dev/wd0d: optimal
          component1: spared
Spares:
           /dev/wd1d: used_spare
Parity status: clean
Reconstruction is 100% complete.
Parity Re-write is 100% complete.
Copyback is 100% complete.

I think this is wrong because the new disk is not a spare, it is one of the components. I think what you need is the -R option to raidctl, rather than the -F option.

OK. So I rebooted and the status is now failed:

# raidctl -s raid0
raid0 Components:
           /dev/wd0d: optimal
          component1: failed
No spares.
Parity status: clean
Reconstruction is 100% complete.
Parity Re-write is 100% complete.
Copyback is 100% complete.

I try the -R option:

# raidctl -v -R component1 raid0
Reconstruction status:

It doesn't complain and comes back almost immediately (strange). I check status again:

# raidctl -s raid0
raid0 Components:
           /dev/wd0d: optimal
          component1: failed
No spares.
Parity status: clean
Reconstruction is 100% complete.
Parity Re-write is 100% complete.
Copyback is 100% complete.

Says reconstruction is complete but the device is still failed? Maybe it wants the device name:

# raidctl -v -R wd1d raid0
raidctl: wd1d is not a component of this device

Nope. Seems "component1" is the correct name.

So, it does not complain when I run the reconstruct command (raidctl -v -R component1 raid0) and it even starts the reconstruction progress indicator. But, it quickly returns after that and does not seem to do anything?

To recap, seems the only way I can get the drive into the array is to add it as a spare and us the -F option to reconstruct it. After that the array is up and healthy. If I reboot the wd1 drive (component1) fails and I'm back to where I started.

Any ideas out there???

Thanks much,
Jeff