On 18/09/2009, at 3:23 PM, Jeffrey C. Smith wrote:

Paul M wrote:
On 18/09/2009, at 2:28 PM, Jeffrey C. Smith wrote:
Now, I try to reconstruct /dev/wd1d (the failed drive):

# raidctl -v -R /dev/wd1d raid0
raidctl: /dev/wd1d is not a component of this device

Still no luck. Any more ideas???

Thanks,
Jeff
Has your raid0.conf file changed? The one you posted earlier shows that /dev/wd1d
*is* a component of that array.

It has not changed. Here it is:

<snip>

Thinking about this some more, I suspect that what may be happening is that the disk still thinks it is a spare. Try blowing away the RAID partition, possibly even replace it with a regular partition and write data to it just to make sure. Then delete that, recreate the RAID partition and try again to
reconstruct the component.
(It may also be possible to achieve this with the -r option to raidctl, but
I'm unfamiliar with the operation of this switch).

Essentially, you configured the disk as a spare, now you want to override
that configuration and configure it as a component.
The man page does say that the spare and the component it was reconstructed from are interchangeable, but I think the system is getting confused as to
just what wd1d is.

Taking a different approach, you could keep wd1d as the spare, but add a 3rd disk to replace the failed component and simply reconstruct onto that (using
the -B switch to raidctl)

Also - dont forget about the syslog.

paulm