On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:58 PM, frantisek holop <min...@obiit.org> wrote:

> does the built in usb emulated sd card reader works?
> i can read anything from it, but writing anything big
> (> 100MB) freezes first the process doing the writing,
> then the io subsystem, and eventually the whole system.

I tested this evening on i386 -current as of 9-14-2009.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=big.bin count=750 bs=1m
750+0 records in
750+0 records out
786432000 bytes transferred in 46.633 secs (16864064 bytes/sec)

I then tried to copy the 750 MB file to a 2 GB SD card that had a
msdos (fat) file system. The eeePC froze-up rather hard, but was still
sort-of usable. I would be glad to debug more should an OS developer
show me how/what to do. Here is some output I could copy before the
system went totally unresponsive... about 5 mins passed before the ath
msgs appeared on console:

# cp big.bin /mnt
ath0 detached
ath0 at pci3 dev 0 function 0 "Atheros AR5424" rev 0x01: apic 1 int 18 (irq 10)
ath0: AR5424 14.2 phy 7.0 rf 0.0, WOR0W, address 00:15:af:xx:xx:xx

Rebooted (pressed and held power button) and tried the same thing with
an older 32 MB SD card (also formatted msdos), dd'ed a 28 MB file and
attempted to copy it. Same thing happened.

So just for fun, I formatted newfs on both SD cards and tried the
copies again. Both worked fine with ffs file systems. This is not the
most accurate test, but it seems that it may to be msdos file system
related. Were your SD cards formatted fat? Have you had the issue on a
ffs formatted card?

Brad