2009/9/21 Michael Burk <bur...@gmail.com>:
> CPU: B Intel Core2 Duo (SP9600 or T9600) B - yes; use AMD64 arch?

I run AMD64 on my T61.

> ATI Mobility Radeon 3470 - yes
> B - or -
> Intel GMA 4500MHD - ?

I got the one with the nvidia card, this was my biggest mistake. As a
result I can't run OpenBSD comfortably (although I'm very pleased with
Arch Linux as a desktop, but that's another email). I've run OpenBSD
on here before, though, before you start complaining that my email
isn't relevant. ;-)

> UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) - probably

Most certainly. You can disable aspects of it in the BIOS, I took the
liberty of turning off the touchpad, best thing I've done for a laptop
in years.

> DisplayPort video port for external monitor - ?
> B  B (I'd like to be able to have two separate screens configured,
> B  B  though video mirroring would be OK)

Yup, I'm doing this right this moment.
http://logik.li/images/screenshots/arrakis/dualhead_for_obsd_misc.png

> Intel WiFi Link 5300 - yes
> Sound card (no specs available) - ?

Yup, although I had to write a little utility to toggle the volume,
but that was probably just due to never using OpenBSD's sound
subsystem before.

> One serious drawback is that I can't find a place locally that sells
> them, so I can't find out how they feel, sound, or how good the screen
> looks. I'd appreciate any comments about these aspects also.

My T61 is pretty quiet for a laptop, it also runs way cooler than most
laptops I've seen. I brought it into 100B0F heat for a month and while
most people's laptops overheated, the only part that even got hot to
the touch was the power cord. My screen handles up to 1680x1050
comfortably, which with a small font and good window managers means
you can fit a lot information on the screen. It's matte, so you never
feel like you're looking at a mirror, unlike most new laptops these
days. I can only see a rough outline of my head when I move it and I'm
infront of something white on a black screen, otherwise it's a nice
deep black. The sound system has been great, I use Grado SR-60's every
day with it and can't hear any noticable drop in sound quality from my
desktop.

The keyboard is very, very nice for a laptop and is essentially a full
size keyboard. I've been using my laptop as my primary computer for a
year now and I haven't had any complaints (even compared to my Model
M!), besides the fact that I can't rearrange the keys for dvorak, but
that's not really important since I'm a touch typist. I've never
bothered to figure out how to use the Fn key to use the numpad though,
but I guess that's a problem with most every laptop, not just
ThinkPads. (Or indeed a problem with me.) I can actually type faster
on this than my Model M, and with a fraction of the noise. (Although
it's not quite the same, but you're never going to have buckling
springs in a laptop.)

Hope this helps, sorry I'm not using the same model you were looking
for, but overall IBM's ThinkPad line has seemed great to me, even
after giving it to Lenovo.

--
Samuel Baldwin - logik.li