On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:03:02 +0300, Rein Kadastik wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Matthias Kilian
><k...@outback.escape.de> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> My X come with OpenBSD 4.5 distributive.
>>
>> The fix had been merged to the stable branch (OPENBSD_4_5) of
>> xenocara, so just rebuild xauth from this branch.
>>
>> Or look for duplicate entries in your /etc/hosts and remove them.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>        Kili
>>

>Instead of fixing Xenocara or other programs, the proper way to solve
>this issue is to elliminate the possibility to have multiple records
>of the same host in /etc/hosts file.
>
>I was stunned to see that after installing fresh OpenBSD and
>configuring and setting it up, I had several entries for 127.0.0.1 in
>my hosts file without modifying it by hand. It is clearly a flaw in
>OpenBSD or even standard Unix libraries.
>
>So the patch for Xenocara is a quickhack instead of a fix for the problem.
>
>If there are several entries of the same host in hosts file, then I
>would expect misbehaving programs all over the place but unfortunately
>only xauth was complaining

here is a very recent install's hosts file:
 cat /etc/hosts
#       $OpenBSD: hosts,v 1.12 2009/03/10 00:42:13 deraadt Exp $
#
# Host Database
#
# RFC 1918 specifies that these networks are "internal".
# 10.0.0.0      10.255.255.255
# 172.16.0.0    172.31.255.255
# 192.168.0.0   192.168.255.255
#
127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost
192.168.80.167  ner0.witworx.com ner0
<end of file>
I see only one line for each address. It is totally autogenerated.

Why do you have more than one line per address? We haven't seen your
hosts file so we are only guessing.

I cannot find any machines around here (including old stuff that isn't
updated because it's only for being a PXE boot-server on the LAN etc.)
that has it otherwise.

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to
reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
---
This life is not the real thing.
It is not even in Beta.
If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.