On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 01:03:02PM +0300, Rein Kadastik wrote:
> > The fix had been merged to the stable branch (OPENBSD_4_5) of
> > xenocara, so just rebuild xauth from this branch.
> >
> > Or look for duplicate entries in your /etc/hosts and remove them.
>
> Instead of fixing Xenocara or other programs, the proper way to solve
> this issue is to elliminate the possibility to have multiple records
> of the same host in /etc/hosts file.

Like, make it read-only and immutable or some shit?

> I was stunned to see that after installing fresh OpenBSD and
> configuring and setting it up, I had several entries for 127.0.0.1 in
> my hosts file without modifying it by hand. It is clearly a flaw in
> OpenBSD or even standard Unix libraries.

This shouldn't happen, I didn't see this in recent installs. I don't
have spare box for testing, but since Rod already wrote that he
doesn't have seen duplicate entries in his installs, I doubt there's
an error in the installer.

> So the patch for Xenocara is a quickhack instead of a fix for the problem.

Fixing a NULL pointer deref is a quick hack? Did you even *look*
at the bug and the bug fix?

> If there are several entries of the same host in hosts file, then I
> would expect misbehaving programs all over the place but unfortunately
> only xauth was complaining

xauth didn't complain, it crashed. Because it had a bug. That bug
has been fixed. So what?

Ciao,
        Kili