Okay...

I just reinstalled 4.5.  I touched nothing on the system.  I installed
mutt through pkg_add, then created a 1M empty file from /dev/null.

I sent this email to myself thusly: mutt -a 1megfile m...@myaddress.com
</dev/null

Same exact behavior.  It spools, then I have about .5 - 1 second
before then entire system locks up.

Again, I made no changes, with the exception of adding mutt.

So..... the only wildcard I can think of is that I am running this on
a Xen virutal server (on Debian Lenny)... though I cannot see why this
would make a difference, and there is no error output on Xen either....

Is anyone else out there running a sendmail server on an AMD64
platform with OBSD 4.5?  I would like to know if this is a problem
with my setup, or with the release, at least.  (I doubt that is the
case, but I don't have a free amd64 system to play with, and I would
just like confirmation).

Thanks.

Quoting Chris <cjd...@brokensolstice.com>:

Okay, here is a weird one...

I'm running OBSD 4.5.  I am using it as a mail server, using sendmail
8.14.3. I rebuilt sendmail because I wanted to use smtpauth.

So I put "WANT_SMTPAUTH=yes" in my /etc/mk.conf, and rebuilt according
to the docs. All seemed to go well.

I configured my sendmail.mc/sendmail.cf, and still, all seemed to go
well.  All my tests on sending emails were successful -- until I
started sending emails with attachments.  Every time I send an email
with a large attachment (say 5-15mb). Tiny attachments go through just
fine.

On my email server, if I send an attachment with mutt (for example) to
another email server, the file will queue in /var/spool/mqueue as one
would expect. After about 1/2 a second, my server will lock-up, and be
completely unreachable by network or keyboard.  Furthermore there is
absolutely no error output in /var/log/maillog or in /var/log/messages.

This is replicable from another mua as well, I have tried this on
Horde and kmail.  The results are the same.

I don't think I have anything wrong in my sendmail.cf, but, fwiw, here it
is.

I appreciate the help!

Chris
OSTYPE(openbsd)dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',
`authwarnings,needmailhelo,noexpn,novrfy,nobodyreturn')dnl
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o MAIL_SETTINGS_DIR`'local-host-names')dnl
define(`confCT_FILE', `-o MAIL_SETTINGS_DIR`'trusted-users')dnl
FEATURE(nouucp, `reject')dnl
FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')dnl
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl
FEATURE(`mailertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')dnl
FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl
FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl
FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(redirect)dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Address=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet6, Address=::, Name=MTA6, M=O')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Address=0.0.0.0, Port=587, Name=MSA, M=E')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet6, Address=::, Port=587, Name=MSA6, M=O,
M=E')dnl
CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Address=0.0.0.0')dnl
CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Family=inet6, Address=::')dnl
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')dnl
define(`CERT_DIR', `MAIL_SETTINGS_DIR`'certs')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH', `CERT_DIR')dnl
define(`confCACERT', `CERT_DIR/cri.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_CERT', `CERT_DIR/cri.pem')dnl
define(`confSERVER_KEY', `CERT_DIR/cri.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_CERT', `CERT_DIR/cri.pem')dnl
define(`confCLIENT_KEY', `CERT_DIR/cri.pem')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS',`PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5')dnl
define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS',`p,y')dnl
FEATURE(limited_masquerade)dnl
EXPOSED_USER_FILE(`/etc/mail/exposed-users')dnl
FEATURE(`ratecontrol')dnl
FEATURE(`conncontrol')dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl
LOCAL_RULESETS
HMessage-Id: $>CheckMessageId

SCheckMessageId
R$*                     $#error $: 553 Header Error