On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:16:07PM -0400, Chris wrote:
> I just reinstalled 4.5.  I touched nothing [but] I installed mutt
> through pkg_add, then created a 1M empty file from /dev/null.
>
> I sent this email to myself thusly: mutt -a 1megfile m...@myaddress.com
> </dev/null
>
> (...) It spools, then I have about .5 - 1 second
> before then entire system locks up.

> (...) I am running this on a Xen virutal server (on Debian Lenny)...
> though I cannot see why this would make a difference, and there is no
> error output on Xen either...
>
> Is anyone else out there running a sendmail server on an AMD64
> platform with OBSD 4.5?  I would like to know if this is a problem
> with my setup, or with the release, at least.  (I doubt that is the
> case, but I don't have a free amd64 system to play with, and I would
> just like confirmation).

The OpenBSD stance on virtualization is pretty much "don't", and this
issue is obviously not showing on real hardware (sendmail on amd64 is a
very common setup, after all).

That said, there are people who do run OpenBSD via Xen, so it is
possible.

One thing to note is that OpenBSD can only run as a guest with hardware
support (Intel VT/Vanderpool or AMD-V/Pacifica); so-called
paravirtualization doesn't work. If you do not have the required
hardware - and you can see whether or not you have it in the Xen logs -
you could use qemu. It's slower (although not *that* slow if you use
kqemu) but known to work.

I'm not sure if Xen uses the hardware support by default; you might want
to look into that, too.

Once the system appears superficially stable, try compiling /usr/src -
it's a good test of a large number of subsystems.

                Joachim