1.  You don't really need to fdisk.
2.  People should be advised to use softraid crypto now.
3.  You don't specify a NUMBER or explain its importance.

The last part is probably the part most people don't understand, so
I'll explain that more fully here.

bioctl says the default for a similar keying scheme is 8192, but
there's no special reason it must or should be a power of two.  The
number of rounds used determines how difficult it is to crack your
password, after an attacker recovers the salt and the encrypted
volume.  More rounds means more work per guess.  So you may want to
run some experiments, raising the number until it takes 10 seconds,
for instance, or whatever you consider an acceptable amount of time to
wait.  The time and effort increases linearly, doubling rounds means
doubling the time.

Some numbers to consider.

At 1 second per guess, it takes about a day and a half to go through
half of /usr/share/dict/words.

In order to get the effort up to just 1 second on my laptop, I need
30000 rounds, 4x the default.  You could try using 300,000 rounds,
that would buy you maybe a week of time if you chose a weak password.
Just remember that unlike doubling the size of a crypto key or
increasing the length of your password, for increasing rounds, pain
and gain are directly linearly proportional.

But there's a limit to how high the rounds should go.  In order to get
that same 10x assurance in time, you could also just add a number on
to the end of your dictionary word and save yourself the annoyance
every time you log in.  Adding just two letters to your password
probably buys you more time than you'd ever be willing to pay.

In the past, I've hesitated to recommend a number, but in
consideration of the fact that your choice of password domain and
length matters far more, I'll throw out a generalization.  I think
increasing above the default makes sense, but probably not more than
about 1 second, where it will start to annoy you.  30k-40k rounds,
let's say.

4.  If you stick with vnconfig, I'd make a slightly bigger deal about
backing up the salt.  People may have a tendency to copy the vnd
backing file as a backup, omitting the salt, which makes it impossible
to restore.  softraid stores the salt with the raidinfo, so you
whatever you're doing for backup, you aren't as likely to omit it.