On Oct 31, 2009, at 5:13 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:

no need for that, we have automatic skip steps, and a ruleset
optimizer that re-orders where it makes sense.

see the 3 articles on undeadly about pf for some fundamentals,
starting here;

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060927091645

Too bad Daniel's book deal fell through; I'd have understood things a lot better if it'd been at Amazon last week. This explains an awful lot -- nothing I saw before mentioned the skipping and reordering. Something somewhere gave me the impression that the pf optimization was just about adjusting timeouts. I don't have to think at all, do I? :-)

OTOH, I was pleased to see him write that what I was trying to do (use anchors as 'subroutines' to skip rules) would have worked, but that it just isn't necessary. Apparently I can just enter a bunch of rules in just about any old order and pf / pfctl will figure all that stuff out for me! (Within reason, I assume...)

And we n00bs are glad to know about undeadly, too...

Thanks, Stuart.

--
Glenn English
g...@slsware.com