This is just silly. If you make a firewall distribution to "promote
OpenBSD" instead of making a firewall distribution, your source of
motivation is wrong.

OpenBSD is free software. You are completely free to use it as a basis
for your firewall distribution.

The project, on the other hand, does not have to distribute your
advertisements. Especially not for every release. You can start your own
mailing list and post them there. A single post to misc@ might have been
OK to inform potentially interested people.

If your choice of OS is based on whether you can advertize on their
list, the loss is yours. If I were making a firewall distribution I'd
certainly choose the OS that suits the project techincally.

In any case OpenBSD does not owe anything to you.  Had they asked you to
"promote OpenBSD" this way it would be different.