On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:26 PM, FRLinux <frli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, it hangs later on just after printing out following lines:
>>
>> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
>> mem address conflict 0xff000000/0x1000
>> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel E7520 Host" rev 0x0c
>> "Intel E7520 Error Reporting" rev 0x0c at pci0 dev 0 function 1 not
> configured
>> ppb0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel E7520 PCIE" rev 0x0c
>
> Yup, same error here, precisely at that line.
>
> Just to confirm that we have the same issue, can you try disabling
> ppb* on boot -c then see if it goes to the login prompt?

One more time, for the record.  If the kernel hangs after printing out
a line, that's NOT the device that caused trouble.  The lines are
printed out mean "I did this", not "I'm about to do this."  This
should be obvious if you think about it, network cards print out their
MAC addresses.  How could the kernel do that if the device wasn't
attached yet?  [There are some more details, but that's the high
level.]

The reason disabling the last line /sometimes/ works is that if it's a
bus, you then prevent probing of all the attached devices.