On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:33:20PM -0500, nixlists wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Bret S. Lambert <bret.lamb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 04:35:48PM -0500, nixlists wrote:
> >>
> >> You are still refusing to give a direct answer to a direct question.
> >> How's that not ignorant? I wonder why that might be... All this "well,
> >> we can't really tell what the hardware may do" crap isn't enough.
> >> Perhaps you don't have an answer....
> >
> > Y'know, if you don't get the fact that the answer you're being given
> > is that, ultimately, there really *isn't* an answer, you need some
> > more zen in your diet.
>
> No, I've been given an answer for the RAID controllers (and even that
> was nebulous), now let's hear it for the SATA.
>
> Again. no write-back cache anywhere, no softupdates, no async mounts,
> does the guarantee in the rename(2) apply to this case?
>
> If it does, then say so . If it doesn't, then say so (and change the
> man page, maybe?).

It doesn't.

Life has no 'guarantee' as you seem to interpret the word.

Clear enough?

Man pages describe how things are intended to work. Life is too short for
them to attempt to describe the (inevitable) Series of Unfortunate Events
where the universe conspires to overwhelm our best efforts.

If you wish to ensure your mail is never lost in a computer, take
the 'e' out and use paper. I guarantee you will never lose any mail
then. Unless there's a fire, or your paper turns out to have too
much acid content, or the ink reacts too easily with UV, or
you go blind, or someone steals it, or you write it with your left
hand after a skiing accident and can't decipher your writing later
on, or the earth is demolished for an interstellar bypass.

In short, DON'T PANIC.

.... Ken