Hi,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Jan Stary <h...@stare.cz> wrote:

[...]
>> It worked for a while, but recently, having acpiec enabled
>> (with the patch above) results in
>>
>> acpitz0 at acpi0: critical temperature 115 degC
>> acpitz1 at acpi0: critical temperature 105 degC
>> acpitz2 at acpi0: critical temperature 112 degC
>> acpitz3 at acpi0: critical temperature 112 degC
>> acpitz4 at acpi0: critical temperature 90 degC
>> acpitz5 at acpi0: critical temperature 112 degC
>
> Sorry. These messages are always there and probably describe
> the temperatures _considered_ to be critical. Right?

I had the same doubt some time ago, but you are right, these are the
temperature limits.

> What it actually says on boot is
>
>        acpitz2: Critical temperature, shutting down.
>
> I don't think there's anything hotter than 112C while the machine boots.
>
> With acpiec disabled, the above does not happen and sysctl hw.sensors
> reports reasonable temperatures; the systme runs fine (except acpibat
> and others are confused).

I had, with my previous HP nw9440 notebook, the same problem with
those sensors, but not always.
And more often when the machine was first started, almost never on
reboots. I think there is something inside that needs to settle down
before the readings make sense. I saw -2000 degrees on one of them,
one time. :-)

If I waited a few minutes (sometime even a few seconds), pausing in
rc.securelevel at the softraid password prompt I scripted, the problem
solved itself.

You could try putting some sleep xxx inside rc.securelevel and see if
the messages continue to pop up on the console or stop. The system
does not shut itself down until the boot is over.

HTH.

Ciao,
D.