I can tell you that *BSD is alive and well, and if anything is thriving
in the network, data centre, and hosting environments. A search of the
NANOG mailing lists (anyone teaching networking should know what NANOG
is), and the webhostingtalk.com forums (where many hosting providers
participate) will show that people are running BSD for networking in
production.

Speaking of antiquated, the IPTables code was originally supposed to
have been replaced by Nf-hipac back in 2005. IPTables is completely
ineffective for large rule sets, due to the linear increase in resources
required for each rule. Features like hashing of address lists,
source-based rate-limiting, stateful failover, and synproxy are either
missing or too immature for production use.

Cheers,
Han Hwei Woo