x03 wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your help m...@.
>
> Have way to check each hard drive performance?

take what you are interested in doing.  Set it up in a batch (non-
interactive) script.  Use the time command to measure how long that
script runs.  Repeat for each configuration.

Or do what most people do... argue about untested, incompletely
considered bits of "wisdom" that may or may not apply to the
situation at hand. :)

> I didn't installed nothing about raid related in the install. So is not
> possible without halting the system
> "install" a raid 1 or raid 0 right?

man softraid
man bioctl

In general, for an install, you will have a root partition, a swap
partition, anything else you don't want in RAID, then a softraid
partition.  You will boot your install kernel, drop to shell,
create those partitions, set up the softraid device with bioctl, then
run the installer and install the OS on your primary and softraid
drives.

Set up altroot (man daily) to have your root partition duped to the
second drive on a nightly basis, so the system can come back up in
degraded mode if need be (which IS the point of RAID, right?)

> I'm dumping the fs with dump (/sbin/dump -0 -au -f - /dev/rsd0a), if the
> currently disk
> stop working I can restore it in raid partition right?

No (important concept here!), you don't restore it into a RAID partition,
you will restore it to partitions on a virtual drive made up of RAID
partitions.  (ok, I'm getting picky here).

Just grab a couple old disks and an old computer and play with it, it
will become very clear quickly.

> Do I need enable something in kernel to have raid 0 or 1 working in 4.6
> GENERIC ?

softraid is in GENERIC and the RAMDISK kernels, no special work needed.

> Is is possible, can someone point me a good procedure documentation to
> do this non-reboot or with
> reboot raid 1 ?

There is a FAQ article well on the way...but not this week. :)

Your saying "non-reboot" implies to me that you have a system set up
already that you want to implement softraid on.  Not going to
happen at this time, unless you left a lot of unused space on your
disk (which is possible, but there are very few people who stick a
500G disk in a machine and don't allocate every last GB, no mater how
many times I say "BAD IDEA").  Even then, you will be rebooting to
find out if you did everything right. :)

Nick.