On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 03:12:35PM -0500, nixlists wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM,  <and...@msu.edu> wrote:
> > If you don't have a good understanding of things, I'd say you should
>
> By good understanding do you mean ability to read and write system
> code, and intimate familiarity with *nix internals?

I'd imagine he meant a basic understanding of unix systems in general.

> > not follow -current on machines that are critical to you.  I do use
> -current

> It seems the opinion on running current in production ranges from
> being overly optimistic to being very cautious. If running -current in
> production is only recommended for people who are intimately familiar
> with the internals, doesn't that exclude many if not most users?

if "intimate familiar[ity] with the internals" means being able to damn
read instructions, then yes. You're making this out to be far harder
than it has to be. If you're able to follow instructions, you can
run -stable or  -current, the docs are there to do so.

As to what each is, it's been discussed to death. Multiple times.

Pick one, and get on with your life. Christ.

> > You can learn tons from watching -current.  I have.  But till you have
> > experience with it, don't make it your main system.
>
> So more suitable for learning and playing with the latest stuff, but
> less suitable for running production stuff at this point? I just feel

Lots of people run -current on production machines with fewer bad experiences
than running "stable" releases from other OSes.