On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:47:54 -0600, Claus <cnie...@gmx.net> wrote:

> I have the same setup running.  Each apache instance runs chrooted under

> their own user id and home directory.

That's a lot of apache instances running... and how much functionality are
you really getting out of them?

Lighttpd or NginX with FastCGI works very well.  I'm running php-fastcgi
once per domain, chrooted to its virtual host directory; I've also got
non-PHP FastCGI applications running in unrelated chroots.

One process (lighttpd) handles SSL and most logging (each PHP instance
logs
in its chroot, but that separates different users' PHP logs too).
Maintenance
is still a pain, though, as I have to copy all relevant binaries, PHP
modules,
and dependent shared libraries into each chroot every upgrade.  I keep
meaning
to write a script to maintain that: copy new binaries (e.g., php-fastcgi)
over,
determine what shared objects they link to, copy those over, and delete
old
versions.
--
 Matthew Weigel