On 3/15/2010 5:47 AM, Ludo Smissaert wrote:
Yes that is true. My laptop started shutting down with a "Terminal
overexposure" message every time is on longer than an hour, a year after
I bought it. I run OpenBSD, but a friend of mine has exactly the same
laptop always running Windows and has the same problem. Need to keep a
book under it, there by giving the heat more change to escape. Now I can
still use it, longer than 30 minutes. To use it really on my lap, is
impossible, both my lap and the top will burn ;)

If you know how to disassemble laptops, open the thing up and remove the dust from the radiator on the heat pipe. If you don't know how to disassemble laptops (or don't care to) blow some compressed air through in the opposite direction of the air flow.

If you do take it apart, make sure you have some heatsink grease on-hand, as the factory stuff may look (and function) like dried toothpaste. Don't spend extra on "special" grease, it doesn't really make a difference.