On 2010-04-07, corey clingo <clinge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
>> In gmane.os.openbsd.misc, you wrote:
>>> Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed in
>>> troubleshooting this.
>>
>> I would try another OS with as different a driver as possible
>> (e.g. probably Linux).
>>

> True, but if I put that much time into it I'd probably load that
> alternate OS onto an external access point and be done with it.

It depends whether you're trying to track down the problem (i.e. whether
it's a driver or hardware problem) or just want a working AP.

> I am curious, though, what brands of wifi cards OpenBSD folks use for
> APs.  From when I was investigating this a year or so ago the ral
> cards (per the man pages) were about the only ones without some sort
> of caveat in AP mode.

The newest ones that I've had personal experience of being problem-
free in AP mode are the old PRISM cards (when running suitable firmware
on them) and one specific model of ath(4) (the one IBM used to use in
some Thinkpads)...

I've had reasonable success with RT2860 ral(4) and acx(4) but there
have been some problems. RF performance of the 2.4GHz RT2860 has been
really good for me, but there are still problems, I have to ifconfig
down+up from cron to avoid the worst of the hangs on some AP dealing
with a wider range of clients (probably the same as you see e.g.
client associates but doesn't get working network access).. acx(4)
are near impossible to obtain without ripping them from a commercial
AP (and there they aren't widely used any more) and RF performance
isn't so good but they were working a bit more reliably for me.
So with heavy heart I had to resort to commercial boxes in some places...