On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:49 AM, <trustlevel-...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> So you think that giving people the freedom to know where the code has come
> from to allow them to not get conned and not use old, possibly insecure
> code
> and giving them the ability to contribute to the original source of the
> code
> and possibly benefit themselves too is a restriction of freedom.

That's part of it, but you're still missing the entire point.

I think the best example is "Free as in Beer."

I can brew beer all day.

I can keep it to myself.

I can also share it.

If I share a beer with you, it is free. (I am giving it to you)

If I share a beer with you under the BSDL, then I expect you to tell
people I gave you that beer should they taste it and enjoy it as well.
(I want you to tell them whether they enjoyed it or not.)

If, however, I share a beer with you under the GPL then you are
required to follow an entire listing on proper procedure and protocol
for sharing that beer. In fact, unless you are ready to make the ingredients
available to everyone else, you better not experiment with my beer.