On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:37 -0500, "Ahlsen-Girard, Edward F CTR USAF AFSOC
AFSOC/A6OK" <edward.ahlsen-girard....@hurlburt.af.mil> wrote:
> On 2010-04-27 23:01:30 Alastair Johnson wrote:
>
> > if i install a system from install47.iso taken from the snapshots
> folder on
> > a mirror i end up with a -current system eg:
> >
> > OpenBSD 4.7-current (GENERIC) #636:
> >
> > the docs state that you cant go from -current to -stable so my
> question is -
> > what happens if i do update it?
> > surely thats exactly what will happen once 4.7 is released.
> >
> > ie, if i do this:
> >
> > cd /usr ; cvs -qd anon...@anoncvs.server-somewhere:/cvs get
> -rOPENBSD_4_7 -P
> > src
> >
> > and then follow the instructions for rebuilding the kernel and
> binaries.
> >
> > http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html
> >

> > will i just end up with a mess or a sligtly more uptodate -current
> >
> > what happens to my 4.7-current system after 4.7 is released. can i
> still
> > update it with bug fixes and security patches etc? surely it will
> become a
> > -stable system?
> >
> > many thanks
> >
> > alastair johnson
>
> If you want a stable system right away, do a completely fresh install of
> 4.6, and follow the instructions for tracking stable.
>
> If you don't mind waiting a few days, do a completely fresh install of
> the 4.7 release (which, as Theo pointed out, is NOT -current) and track
> stable from there.
>
> If for whatever reason you cannot tolerate a fresh install, you *might*
> be able to safely wait ("wait" means, run the system exactly as it is
> today, don't try to update anything at all) until the 4.8 release comes
> out (around November) and upgrade to that.  But I'm in no position to
> say that that is safe.

Nor am I, but I do that often with base installs and have not had any
major issues. There would be security concerns (especially with ports if
you're using a full blown desktop). You can follow -current if you have
the time and ability to keep-up or just occasionally install snapshots
and update them periodically.

Brad