Hello,

thanks for your replies. The reason for my PHP script failure

  Warning: file_get_contents(http://94.100.188.5/robots.txt)
 [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No route to host

have been 1) missing /var/www/etc/resolv.conf (the hosts I had already)
and 2) I forgot that I had an anti-PHP rule in pf.conf:

  # don't allow PHP-worms to propagate
  block out quick log on $ext_if proto { tcp, udp } all user www

After those changes (and the following lines in /var/www/conf/php.ini)

  allow_url_fopen = On
  # needed for phpBB's template editing:
  suhosin.post.max_value_length = 65000000
  suhosin.request.max_value_length = 65000000

my PHP script works fine under chrooted Apache again.

(Yes, the PHP's error message about "route" had been misleading :-)

Regards
Alex