On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:31:22PM +0300, Jussi Peltola wrote:
> I do this too. In addition to the previously mentioned problems with
> cheap switches losing their configs (and vlans) you should make sure the
> active interfaces are all on one switch so that the link between them
> isn't uselessly used; this will also avoid an unpleasant split brain
> event if that link ever happens to fail. But in this case you will also
> have to very carefully check the other switch stays properly configured so
> the backup interfaces will actually pass the traffic you want.

don't mix up cheap switches with crap switches.  actually, some very
expensive switches are really crappy indeed.  but i don't see your
"problems", you just have to take care a little bit and don't try to
run your highly redundant high-performance firewall cluster with a
bunch of SOHO linksys switches (oh wait, they're cisco now).

but there is no real problem, trunk failover with carp + pfsync and
redundant switches works very well and i have installed it in many
different highly available production sites.  it is hard to make it
not work unless you configure your switches wrong - eg. by cascading
the redundant switches to other uplink switches and creating some
weird loops.

> Linux's bonding module has an arp monitor which solves some of these
> problems, but the implementation is so hackish (as usual there...) that
> I'd rather not use it in production. arping and ifstated might do the
> same on openbsd, but I'm not sure if that will work when the interfaces
> are trunk ports. I'll need to check this when I have time.

why not?  trunk is just a "normal" ethernet interface.

the linux bondage trick sounds hackish, but link detection protocols
like udld or bfd should help here on the ethernet level.  many managed
switches support one of these protocols and i'd like to do this on the
openbsd side at some point to alter the link state based on optional
uni-/bidirectional link detection.

reyk