Hi,

Transport mode IPSec has many legit uses. The first one which springs to mind
is gateway-gateway encryption, over which you can use your favourite tunneling
protocol e.g.  L2TP or GRE. Especially useful if you're transporting multicast
traffic over the VPN.

Also one of the most popular remote access VPN solutions (works 'out of the
box' on Windows, OS.X & Cisco routers) is "L2TP over IPSec". This provides
both static & dynamically addressed clients with an IPSec tunnel back to the
VPN server, over which L2TP is tunneled, providing DHCP for tunnel IP
addressing, and multi-protocol (IPX or IPv6 anyone ?) support.

It's also ideal for ubiquitous IP level any to any encryption if you spend the
effort on key management issues.

/Pete