> 'apmd -C' works OK: the CPU scales appropriately based on load;
> the battery status is reported correctly; the monitor dims/brightens
> when AC is plugged out/in.

This is not entirely true. It worked yesterday after I re(plugged) the
AC power. Now I see that immediately after boot (either on AC, or on
battery), the battery is not even detected as present:

$ apm
Battery state: absent, 0% remaining, unknown life estimate
A/C adapter state: not connected
Performance adjustment mode: cool running (800 MHz)

After I plug the AC out and in (or in and out),
it usually starts to work:

$ apm
Battery state: high, 100% remaining, 172 minutes life estimate
A/C adapter state: connected
Performance adjustment mode: cool running (800 MHz)

$ apm
Battery state: high, 100% remaining, 172 minutes life estimate
A/C adapter state: not connected
Performance adjustment mode: cool running (800 MHz)

Yet on another boot, it's

$ apm
Battery state: high, 0% remaining, unknown life estimate
A/C adapter state: connected
Performance adjustment mode: cool running (800 MHz)

$ apm
Battery state: high, 0% remaining, unknown life estimate
A/C adapter state: not connected
Performance adjustment mode: cool running (800 MHz)

i.e. only the AC state is reported correctly.

Please note that while this happens, dmesg says:

acpibat0 at acpi0: BAT0 not present
acpibat1 at acpi0: BAT1 not present
acpiac0 at acpi0: AC unit offline

regardless of the actual state, while previous kernels said

acpibat0 at acpi0: BAT0 model "Primary" serial 00903 2009/01/13 type LIon oem
"Hewlett-Packard"
acpibat1 at acpi0: BAT1 not present
acpiac0 at acpi0: AC unit online

> (3)
> 'apm -S' puts the machine to standby; everything goes black,
> just the power button's led starts blinking. After
> pressing the power button everything comes back up,
> including the network connections (of em0; don't know
> about iwn0, I am not in a reach of a wifi network
> right now; will test tomorrow).

I am using the iwn-firmware-5.5 as referenced in iwn(4).

Before apm -S:

iwn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:21:6a:0f:b2:8e
        priority: 4
        groups: wlan egress
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1 mode 11g)
        status: active
        ieee80211: nwid wififjfi chan 4 bssid 00:17:df:94:a8:81 169dB
        inet6 fe80::221:6aff:fe0f:b28e%iwn0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        inet 172.16.21.117 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.21.255

After resume:

iwn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:21:6a:0f:b2:8e
        priority: 4
        groups: wlan
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (DS1 mode 11g)
        status: active
        ieee80211: nwid wififjfi chan 1 bssid 00:19:a9:ce:01:11 173dB
        inet6 fe80::221:6aff:fe0f:b28e%iwn0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        inet 172.16.21.117 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.21.255

but the connections seem to be dead - for example the ssh connection
to outside I made before the apm -S does not react to nothing. (I am
also logged to the HP remotely via ethernet now, because the wifi network
I am on now does not make the HP routable from outside. The ethernet
network does.)

> One exception is the monitor: it is still dark;
> I can log in remotely though, bring my
> tmux sessions back up etc. The tmux sessions come back
> up with the windows reduced (as happens in a larger
> xterm when the same session is still open with smaller
> 80x25 windows elsewhere).
>
> I was at the console when I issued 'apm -S', X was not running.
> If it makes any difference, I issued the 'apm -S' from within
> root's tmux session.

The behaviour is the same when I issue 'apm -S' when
X is running (either from within an xterm, or from
a console while X is running).

Some further hardware notes:

No PCMCIA card was ever detected on this machine.
No SD card was ever detected on this machine.
I have no xD or MMC card to test.

sdhc0 at pci6 dev 9 function 1 "Ricoh 5C822 SD/MMC" rev 0x25: apic 1 int 22
(irq 10)
sdmmc0 at sdhc0
"Ricoh 5C843 MMC" rev 0x14 at pci6 dev 9 function 2 not configured
"Ricoh 5C592 Memory Stick" rev 0x14 at pci6 dev 9 function 3 not configured
"Ricoh 5C852 xD" rev 0x14 at pci6 dev 9 function 4 not configured
cbb0 at pci6 dev 9 function 5 "Ricoh 5C476 CardBus" rev 0xbb: apic 1 int 22
(irq 10)
cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 135 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
pcmcia0 at cardslot0
"RICOH, Bay8Controller" (manufacturer 0x0, product 0x0) at pcmcia0 function 0
not configured

I am using the uvideo-firmware-1.2.2p1 package as referenced in uvideo(4).
uvideo0 at uhub0 port 5 configuration 1 interface 0 "Chicony Electronics Co.,
Ltd. CKA7216" rev 2.00/32.18 addr 2
video0 at uvideo0

Trying to use the uvideo to record a short movie with
$ ffmpeg -y -t 15 -an -f video4linux2 -r 25 -s vga vcodec copy /tmp/out.avi
results in a broken file with a few freeze-frames captured. Trying again
with different framerate (-r) and size (-s) makes it a bit better or
a bit worse, but after a few runs it just says

[video4linux2 @ 0x7d3b5080]Device does not support mmap
/dev/video0: Input/output error

and the camera's LED does even turn on
(which it normally does while capturing).

Trying fswebcam(1) without arguments at this point makes the machine freeze.

This laptop also has a fingerprint sensor:
ugen0 at uhub3 port 1 "AuthenTec Fingerprint Sensor" rev 2.00/17.03 addr 2
Any support planned for this? (Not that I need it, but my bsd-converted
wife would undoubtedly find it a sign of general user-friendliness :-)

What else should I test?

        Thank you for your time

                Jan