I was looking at the Alesis iO|2 USB audio interface. It seems like a nice
device, especially since it appears to comply to both the USB-audio as well
as the USB-MIDI standard, see:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
questions/linux-hardware-18/2-soundcards-alesis-io|2-and-nvidia-ck804-512025/

However, it appears to limit audio to 24-bits @ 44.1/48kHz.

To my understanding, applications accessing this device through libsndio will
use its native resolution. For applications requiring 16-bit audio I could run
an aucat server on top of this device.

According to BUGS in aucat(1), aucat uses 16-bit processing. Does that mean
that aucat will always record/playback only the 16 most significant bits for
resolutions > 16 bit (always limiting the dynamic range) ?

Apart from limiting the dynamic range, I was wondering if a pure 24-bit device
could potentially be troublesome in any way. e.g. will running an aucat
server in 16-bit mode add any kind of additional distortion or noise, or can
i expect it to behave as a device doing 16-bits @ 44.1/48kHz ?
Will applications work without issues ?