On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:49:07PM +0000, Matthew Szudzik wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 01:36:17PM -0700, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> > Is there any useful documentation that explains how you're supposed to
> > write C code and what's changed under the i18n New World Order?  From
> > your message, it sounds like we're going to have to rewrite nearly all
> > of our user-space code...
>
> Not only does switching to unicode require a lot of work, but it
> requires perpetual, unending work.  Unicode has the foolish goal of
> including all known characters, so every time a country invents a new
> currency symbol, for example, the unicode fonts (such as DejaVu) must be
> updated to include the symbol and the C library has to be updated to
> recognize that the symbol is printable, and so on.  It requires constant
> maintenance.

So what ? human languages are complicated. It's great that finally, some
large proportion of humanity is not ignored.

Your view is so narrow-minded, this is mind-boggling.

Do you realize that almost 1 billion people live in India ? and more than
that in China ?  Do you think there is proper support for the languages of
those people outside of unicode ?  (hint: even there, it's tough. If you
have time, check the logs of qt, see all the fixes about accents and other
diacritics marks in languages you may never have heard off... which often
are the native tongues of 10s of MILLIONS of people in the world).

> But it's even worse, because unicode also violates the principle
> (established by Alan Turing in 1936) that any two characters should be
> humanly distinguishable "at a glance".  This has led to the invention of
> punycode for translating unicode strings into humanly distinguishable
> ASCII strings.  But then why did we switch from ASCII to unicode in the
> first place?

Stay in your backwaters county, redneck.

Anyways, you're a troll, and you're not really relevant.

Rest assured that OpenBSD developers are interested in better i18n support.
It goes slow, because it's a tough problem, and yeah, we don't want to
create security issues, and yeah, we have to be really, really careful about
a lot of things.

Don't like it ? feel free to leave.

Ou, si tu prifhres, va te faire voir ailleurs... ;-)