On 2010-08-14, Toni Mueller <openbsd-m...@oeko.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 13.08.2010 at 14:36:21 +0100, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1i...@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> What do people think of monit.
>
> Ok, I'll chime in: What do people think of Zenoss and splunk?

I haven't looked at splunk, but zenoss looks "fiddly" to install on OpenBSD,
they provide a mega-tarball including tar.gz of all dependencies which they
expect you to use. On OS which are fully-supported by the various projects
I see some benefit from this (though I think it's still a pain), it's
really annoying on OS where you really want to use packages for the
dependencies which are already tested and have had various portability
problems fixed. (freeswitch has a similar problem and this is one of
the main reasons why there is no freeswitch port; it's even worse for
zenoss as they repackage even more pointless stuff; python, rrdtool,
gettext, glib, pixman, ...).

I'm occasionally working on a port of icinga which looks quite
interesting (forked from nagios a while ago, it's still compatible
but has diverged quite a bit now - many problems have been fixed
and improvements made, in particular the UI has been totally
replaced). Would have been done sooner, but despite its
general crappiness and the many improvements that could be made,
nagios actually works surprisingly well...

OpenNMS also looks pretty interesting, but unless they've worked
around it by now, it doesn't work with snmpd(8) due to PR 6071.