On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 03:49:43PM -0400, Simon Comeau Martel wrote:
> > You received a /64 for your router interface ?  Or are you in a /64
> > subnet with other customers ?  The setup sounds weird to me.  To what
> > address is your ISP forwarding that /56 ?
> Yeah, it's a bit strange. But it's their IPv6 beta; very few customers are
> in it right now. I guess they won't give so much address space in the long
> run.

Well, supposedly, end-users should receive /48s from their ISPs [0].

> Right now, they give a /64 subnet to everyone in the beta, and, if you
> tell them you will use a router (that's the case for everyone except those
> who only have one PC connected directly to their ADSL modem), they also
give
> you a /56 subnet.

Back to your initial problem, it is a bit of a bummer. The same happens
with Linux as well. As has been stated before, it is accepted that
router discovery is for end-hosts only. I still don't quite understand
how it is be dangerous (apart from some really twisted cases).

Anyway, maybe you should ask your ISP to implement DHCPv6. DHCP used to
be a client configuration tool, but DHCPv6 is more specifically designed
for router configuration. My ISP does that over a PPP link, and it works
wonderfully.

> They are all publicly routable IPv6 addresses.

And it will stay like that! That's one of the reasons to use IPv6: no

[0] http://tools.ietf.org/html/3769

--
Olivier Mehani <sht...@ssji.net>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655