On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 19:29 +0000, Rikky Taylor wrote:
> I was after some general advice. I need to setup a routing firewall with 3
> interfaces, moderate traffic and a fair amount of NAT'ing in the rules.
Sorry, that's just too vague to have any meaning.
Come back with a topology and numbers for traffic and subnets.

> Given identical modern server hardware would I expect a performance difference
> between an OpenBSD/PF setup and a Linux/IPTables one?

You're zeroing in on the wrong metric.
Better metrics are "How hard is it to read my ruleset?"
"How many nasty side effects can I expect while reloading a tweak of my
ruleset?" "What's the signal to noise ratio when I ask for help fixing
my rule set?"

I think the following from Rusty Russell does an excellent summary

http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/index.cgi/tech/2006-08-15.html