>I sometimes see the snaps (or X) haven't been built for a few or more
>days, and I was just wondering why that is?

The person who does builds has a life.

>Is the build automated, or manually run?

The builds are not done automated.  Automated build structures don't
work.  The tree does not compile 100% of the time.  It compiles about
98% of the time, and it varies architecture to architecture.

> I see the times are usually ~2pm and ~10pm, Mountain time.

The base builds are done by me.  It sounds like you are looking at
one architecture.

>If I see a snap hasn't been built for a while, I'll usually hold off on
>updating the source because something major might be only part way
>complete.  I'll wait until a new snap, install (or update) it, then
>update the source and build.  Is this silly?

It is very smart.

By doing builds for the snapshots manually, I run into most of the
build problems before other developers do.

If snapshot builds are bad, I don't copy them out.  Or... I try not to.
The hope is that I notice.  Sometimes I can't notice.  I don't install
them -- you guys do.