Andy,

This is perfect thank you - I'm ended up using the following in the
daemontools supervise script:

#!/bin/sh
exec 2>&1
exec envuidgid rviews tcpserver -vDRHl0 0 23 ptyrun /usr/bin/bgplgsh

Two more questions for you:

- is it possible to set a timeout on the tcpserver/ptyrun/bgplgsh
program? I want the server to disconnect the remote user after 30
seconds of inactivity.

- tcpserver has a -B option to display a banner - this seems to need
to be inline with the tcpserver execution. Do you know of a way to
include an external file? Or even better is there a way to have
ptyrun/bgplgsh display the motd?

Thanks,
Max