On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:07:02PM +0200, Mihai Popescu B.S. wrote:
> Sorry folks,
>
> First, my ATI HD4350 refused to startx, effectively putting my display
> in some unusable state: I had to remove power from display to get it
> back online. I searched the archive and found out that Xorg became a
> "joke" since Intel put some code in it. Too sad.
> Then I got the messages about symbol size mismatch. I've installed
> empathy but got some strange messages like Cannot execute the script
> ... (not a manual?) and empathy refused to start being unable to load
> some lib.so files. Now I replaced the ATI HD4350 with ATI X1650 and
> managed to get X working.
> Are there new things in snapshot which I don't know ? Should I wait
> for another compile of packages, to have a date close to the base
> compile time ?
> If X is so crappy, is there another thing to use ?
>
> Many thanks.

I don't mean to brag, but my Radeon HD4350 works fine with X. Sending
a dmesg to the list is never a bad idea if hardware is misbehaving.
Are you using an xorg.conf?

Incidentally, if you are using a snapshot then you should use the
ports.tar.gz that comes with the snapshot, the packages that may be
available won't necessarily work (they usually do, but it's not by
design). There was a thread about it recently, I'm afraid I can't
recall the title though.

Patsy