On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 03:52:53PM -0800, Travis H. wrote:
> So I'm curious if there's something in OpenBSD that's similar to the
> "mount -o bind /dir1 /dir2" to make dir1 appear where dir2 is.

For those who asked, one sample use is for something like this:

Starting with the 2.4-series Linux kernels, it has been possible to
mount a filesystem simultaneously in two different places. "Aha!" you
might think, as I did. "Then surely we can mount the backups read-only
in /snapshot, and read-write in /root/snapshot at the same time!"

Alas, no. Say your backups are on the partition /dev/hdb1. If you run
the following commands,

mount /dev/hdb1 /root/snapshot
mount --bind -o ro /root/snapshot /snapshot

then (at least as of the 2.4.9 Linux kernel--updated, still present in
the 2.4.20 kernel), mount will report /dev/hdb1 as being mounted
read-write in /root/snapshot and read-only in /snapshot, just as you
requested. Don't let the system mislead you!

In the example above, the second mount call will cause both of the
mounts to become read-only, and the backup process will be unable to
run. Scratch this one.

Update: I have it on fairly good authority that this behavior is
considered a bug in the Linux kernel, which will be fixed as soon as
someone gets around to it. If you are a kernel maintainer and know
more about this issue, or are willing to fix it, I'd love to hear from
you!
--
Effing the ineffable since 1997. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
My emails do not usually have attachments; it's a digital signature