On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Pieter Verberne
<pieterverbe...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 16:02:31 +0100, Pieter Verberne wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> See thread at the bottom. I have also problems reading files while
>> mounting from Ubuntu. I cannot read files larger than +/- 18KB.
>>
>> /etc/exports:
>> /home/pieter localhost 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 10.0.2.15
>>
>> On Ubuntu:
>> $ sudo mount.nfs lilium:/home/pieter pieter_mount/ -w
>> $ cat pieter_mount/test.txt     # 17069 bytes
>> [ output ]
>> $ cat pieter_mount/test1.txt    # 18483 bytes
>> [ no output. cat keeps running; `ps aux | grep cat`
>> pieter    3095  0.0  0.0   3896   244 pts/15   D+   15:35 0:00 cat
>> pieter_mount/test1.txt ]
>>
>> When I mount the same export on the OpenBSD machine it works fine:
>> $ sudo mount -t nfs localhost:/home/pieter/ /mount_test/
>> $ cat /mount_test/test1.txt
>> [output]
>>
>> So could be an Ubuntu (and MacOS?) bug. I don't have another Unix/Linux
>> computer to try on right now.
>>
>> Also, I'm not able to write on the exports. From both Ubuntu and
>> OpenBSD(localhost).
>>
>> $ touch test
>> touch: cannot touch `test': Read-only file system
>>
>> It says Read-only _file system_. Could this have anything to do with
>> file permissions or the -maproot -allmap options?
>>
>> `portmap -d` and `mountd -d` gives no errors. I tried disabling pf. No
>> result. No interesting things in /var/log/messages
>
> Thanks to Jason for a hint. I explicitly have to say to the nfs client
> to use UDP instead of TCP. It looks like TCP support is broken in some
> way? It doesn't work with Ubuntu, MacOS and I found out that mounting
> from a QNAP doesn't work either.
>
> And, is there a way to make nfs working with the pf scrub option? I'm
> using pppoe and have a NAT, see
>
> man 4 pppoe
> Problems can arise on machines with private IPs connecting to the
> Internet via a machine running both Network Address Translation (NAT) and
> pppoe.
>
> So in my pf.conf is
> match on $ext_if scrub (max-mss 1280)
>
> Is there any way to make nfs working on $ext_if?

FWIW, i'm having some nfs issues too. i have a openbsd file server and
am mounting on linux. it used to work ok, then in the last couple of
months it stopped working. on the client, if i do "ls -R" on the mount
point, it prints out a couple thousand files and then stops printing
any more. i found mounting with nfs version 2 to be a workaround:

hostname:/data on /mnt/bunny type nfs (rw,vers=2,tcp,addr=192.168.xyz.abc)