Hello,

i have a Sheevaplug (first generation) since more than one year now. I use it as web server, ssh, torrent web client and XMPP server without overheating any problem. It works nicely with a SD card for the system (debian...) and an usbdisk for the data. I also would like to use OpenBSD on it. I know that some work has been tried here http://www.tmplab.org/wiki/index.php/Trail_Sheevaplug_OpenBSD but i don't know the status...

i've heard that Guruplugs had overheating problems but this should be fixed now but no problem with Sheevaplug.

Le 14/02/2011 11:03, Paolo Aglialoro a C)crit :
Thank you all for the answers!

I also had doubts about the overheating stuff (did also some reading through
complaints) but the failing power supply also looks like a major
show-stopper. Actually I was thinking about such boxes just as a comfortable
5W NAS/torrent server (activities which do not tax the cpu till the point of
overheating, even if it looks like that overheating came from NICs...).

About the porting side, well... the pile-o-dung bugginess is unfortunately
true about such devices... but still, if they run run some kinda linux,
there might be hope... it looks like a matter on the pure terms of
"luck"....

Maybe it's just about waiting or.... modding the plug with some aluminium to
dissipate heat... even if some metal radiator near 220V circuits (who btw
might also lack grounding) doesn't sound much "sexy"... :((((