Good morning,

n...@sidoti.id.au (Antonino Sidoti), 2018.08.27 (Mon) 05:35 (CEST):
> Hi,
>
> When using a credentials table (man table), what table type do I use
> with regards to using the table in a smtpd.conf configuration?

Thats up to you: if you use "file" (recommended), then, upon table
changes, you have to restart smtpd(8) to read the new contents OR use
"smtpctl(8) update table <yourtablename>".

If you use "db", then you have to run makemap(8) on your file, which
produces a <yourfilename>.db, which should be referenced in smtpd.conf.
In this case after running makemap smtpd has the new contents.

> I have created this table in my smtpd.conf but I am not sure it is
> correct?
> table passwd file:/etc/mail/passwd

"passwd" would be the NAME of your table which you should use in your
smtpd.conf if you want to auth, untested example, taken right from
smtpd.conf(5):

listen on egress auth <passwd>

> Though I have seen a sample configuration from another site using a
> different table type;
> table passwd passwd:/etc/mail/passwd
> Reading the man page, it does not make any reference to the table type
> using ‘passwd’. It only talks about ‘file’ and ‘db’.

Nope!
With OpenBSD software it's more like: If not in manual, then not
in code.
Neither table(5) nor smtpd.conf(5) contain the string "passwd".
But you can use it as a name you want to use.

Marcus