The configuration loaded is correct as I see the daemon is loading the correct
certificates and stuff if launched with smtpd -dv -T smtp. I am very shocked as
I am not able to figure out what happened. I never changed any config file
since December and I have installed this environment at least 3 times in my lab
and was always working. I have forced the daemon to load my config file with -f
and the issue persist.

At this point I would recreate /usr/local/etc/mail/domains and /usr/local/etc/mail/virtuals. Rename the old files.
Start by retyping (no clipboard) one line per file.

Reload them via
# smtpctl update table domains
# smtpctl update table virtuals

You could also test a "catchall"