I successfully got the client "test" authenticate on the server "mx1" with
this :
foo@test : # cat /etc/mail/secrets
foo    foo:password_clear

But another issue that appeared...

Authentication does now work with this line in the file "smtpd.conf" :
table secrets file:/etc/mail/secrets

But if instead of a text file I use a db file, it does not work and I see
again the message "AUTH rejected: 535
Authentication failed" in the logs :
table secrets db:/etc/mail/secrets.db

I generated the db file with "makemap secrets" and there was no error
reported  by the command.