No not the # somebody thoughts a : in a username is a good idea.
But Opensmtpd (and also postfix) use the : as the delimiter between username and password.

Instead of username:password in my secrets file i had a usernamepart1:usernamepart2:password
The smtp system wasn't able to split the string in a correct way.

After my change i could use the ; as the delimiter now i have usernamepart1:usernamepart2;password and the smtp system splits correct at the ; sign.