When is it required for using quotation marks in smtpd.conf?

I was just noticing smtpd.conf(5) has examples using quotation marks, such as:

action "local_mail" mbox alias <aliases>
filter "dkimsign" proc-exec "filter-dkimsign -d <domain> -s <selector> \
        -k /etc/mail/dkim/private.key" user _dkimsign group _dkimsign

But then I noticed the package readme for dkimsign has the following examples:

filter dkimsign_rsa proc-exec "filter-dkimsign -d <domain> -s <selector> -k /etc/mail/dkim/private.rsa.key" user _dkimsign group _dkimsign
filter dkimsign chain { dkimsign_rsa, dkimsign_ed25519 }

So I went through and removed all quotation marks in my smtpd.conf and the only ones that seem to be needed are the ones around pki related locations.

Thank you,

Paul