I don't recall the exact exact rule as it is one shared by all OpenBSD
daemon through the common lexer, but basically if the string starts w/
a special character or contains some special ones, you need quotes:

   table foobar /etc/mail/aliases
                ^---- not a valid way to begin a string

and whenever a sequence of characters does not result in a keyword, it
is considered a string which allows you to skip them for anything that
looks like a string and isn't a keyword.

I personally think that a good practice is to use quotes whenever it's
not a keyword but that's subjective.